Friday, July 09, 2010

Hodgson Confident Gerrard Will Stay At Liverpool

Despite heavy speculation surrounding the future of Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, new Anfield boss Roy Hodgson is certain the midfield star will remain at the club.



"Obviously Steven and Jamie are the playing heartbeat of the club and it's very important we keep people like that with us,'' Hodgson told LFC Weekly after talks with Gerrard and vice-captain Jamie Carragher .



"I anticipate there might be a situation where other big clubs will try to sign Steven but he gave no indication that he wanted to leave.



"Nobody at the club wants him to go so I will be doing my utmost to make sure he stays. I am confident he will.''



And Hodgson hopes he can convince Fernando Torres to remain at Liverpool, too.



"Fernando is a wonderful striker and I understand the fans' concerns about his future," he said.



"Unfortunately with the World Cup still on I won't be able to meet him face to face for another few weeks - that's just circumstance and you won't hear me complaining about it.



"When I do meet him I will be doing everything I possibly can to convince him that Liverpool is the place to be," continued the 62-year-old. "If he sees progress I am confident that he won't want to go anywhere else. I think he understands the club and the city."

No comments: