Thursday, July 01, 2010

Forward Milan Jovanovic Confirms He Will Join Liverpool Despite Inter Link

Serbian forward Milan Jovanovic has rejected reports he was set to pull out of a move to Liverpool after Rafael Benitez left the club.

Jovanovic, 29, represented his country in South Africa, grabbing the winning goal against Germany in their group stage clash. The attacker had allowed his contract at Standard Liege to run down this summer and a free transfer to Anfield was announced in the New Year.

Continued reports of unrest at Liverpool and their failure to qualify for the Champions League had put the switch in doubt, however. Benitez had been linked with bringing him to Inter, while Birmingham City were reported to be ready to hijack the deal.

Speaking to Nieuwsblad, Jovanovic declared he had no intention of making a u-turn.

"I am going to Liverpool. I have signed there for three years. I repeat: no pre-agreement - a real contract," Jovanovic said.

"And the departure of Benitez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the executive board of Liverpool and everything is good.

"I am working to arrange my visa for England. Next week I go there to collect my work permit.

"Everything is in order since in the last two years I have played 75 per cent of the matches for my national side. Next I am looking for a house.

"On the 14th or 15th July I will join the squad for a training camp in Switzerland. But, as from Thursday, I want to start my individual training programme so I can show them immediately that I am worth a place in the side."

No comments: