Friday, July 02, 2010

Deschamps Considered Reds

Marseille boss Didier Deschamps has confirmed he considered Liverpool's approach before agreeing a contract extension with the French champions.

The Reds contacted the French champions over their interest in appointing the former France World Cup-winning captain as a successor to Rafa Benitez.

But Deschamps swiftly ended speculation over his future by signing a contract extension which keeps him at Stade Velodrome until June 2012.
 
Deschamps said: "I have been contacted by a great club, and of course it leads you to think.

"It was not a money matter. I have always favoured the sporting aspect.

"I have extended, and I am pleased with it. The chairman wanted it. I am always asking for respect from the players, I had to fulfil my commitment."

The coach also confirmed his desire to keep captain Mamadou Niang, even if the club will be forced to cut their wages to get reinforcements.

He added: "I wish him to stay. Mamade is fine here, I have no worry about that case. I know I already have a competitive team."

Deschamps added his summer recruitment campaign will be quieter than last year with four targets at most, with one of them, wing-back Cesar Azpilicueta, having already been snapped up.

He said: "The players achieved something amazing last term (the championship and league cup double), and it will be difficult this season.

"The priority will be to finish among the three top teams to get new qualification for the Champions League.

"It is essential for the club. Then, we would reach a new step by getting though the Champions League group stage."

No comments: