Sunday, June 27, 2010

Marseille Reveal Liverpool FC Approach For Manager Didier Deschamps

Marseille president Jean-Claude Dassier has revealed Liverpool have approached him about the availability of manager Didier Deschamps.

The head of the Ligue 1 champions claims that Reds managing director Christian Purslow contacted him on Thursday to enquire over the prospect of taking the reins in the Anfield dugout.

Despite Fulham manager Roy Hodgson remaining the firm favourite to succeed Rafael Benitez, Dassier insists that Deschamps is the man that Liverpool really want but were turned away as the 41-year-old is not leaving the Stade Velodrome.

He said: "It's true, Liverpool's executive director, Christian Purslow, called me Thursday morning. He speaks French very well, is very polite.

"I was expecting his call because I had heard of Liverpool's interest in Didier. He asked me if I would allow him to meet Didier and (agent) Jean-Pierre Bernes.

"I replied that I would never forbid anyone from meeting whoever. I also kindly indicated to him that there wasn't the slightest chance for him to pinch our coach. Even in his dreams.

"With Didier, we have a trusting relationship. I hope he will commit himself to us for another year. I'm not worried.

"It's true also that Didier is flattered to see a great European club interested in him."

World Cup winner Deschamps is highly regarded as one of the best coaches on the continent and led Marseille to a French league and cup double in his first season in charge.

He has previously taken Monaco to the Champions League final in 2004 and Juventus to the Serie B title in 2007.

No comments: