Friday, June 18, 2010

Benitez: I Left Liverpool On Good Terms

New Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez has insisted that he still has a good relationship with his former Liverpool players and that he left the club on good terms.

Benitez left Liverpool by mutual consent after a poor season which saw them only qualify for the Europa League by virtue of Portsmouth's inability to compete in Europe while in administration.

But Benitez, who replaces Jose Mourinho as coach of the Nerrazzuri, said: "I had contact with 95% of the players (after I left). Everything was fine, very good messages, very positive messages.

"The relationship is really good with the majority. Maybe you have some members of the team who are not happy, but it has been good. The club was fantastic, the fans were amazing, so it was a sad day when I had to go. But things change so I had to do it.

"I was in contact with (Steven) Gerrard when it was his birthday and everything was fine. It was good. He was trying to focus on the World Cup."

No comments: