Friday, May 21, 2010

Stuttgart Consider Bid For Want-Away Liverpool Winger Riera

Stuttgart have shortlisted Liverpool's Albert Riera as a prime transfer target, according to German newspaper Stuttgarter Nachrichten.

The 28 year-old launched a scathing attack on Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez in March, saying, "The team's playing badly and needs changes. It is a sinking ship. But in the two years I have been here Benitez has never managed a situation with a player by talking to him."

A proposed move to Russia then fell through and although Riera was frozen out by Benitez for the final two months of the season, he remains a Liverpool player for now.

However, Riera has made his intention of leaving Anfield clear, saying yesterday, "I did not play the last two months [of the season] and right now my objective it is to go to a club were I can feel appreciated and where I can win trophies. I am not worried about the money now or the country I go to."

According to Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Riera may find that Stuttgart is an option. Coached by former Spurs boss Christian Gross, they may make a move for Riera or Napoli's wide midfielder Jesus Datolo.

Riera joined Liverpool from Espanyol for £8m two years ago, but he made only fifteen appearances this season, having been a first-team regular during his first season at the club.

No comments: