Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Skrtel: I Must Prove Myself

Martin Skrtel is desperate to prove his fitness to earn a place in the Slovakian squad for what will be an historic World Cup for his nation.

Skrtel suffered a metatarsal injury in February, missing the climax of Liverpool's season, but is in Slovakia's provisional squad for South Africa 2010.

The defender now has two warm-up games against Cameroon and Costa Rica to demonstrate he's ready to be tested on the biggest stage in global football in what will be Slovakia's first ever World Cup finals.

He told LFC Weekly: "Those two games will be very important for me. My aim is to try to train every day to be ready for these two matches and maybe they will show me how I feel and which level I can play at.

"First I must get my fitness and then try to get my form back to the level it was at before my injury. That will help me to be ready for the World Cup."

Skrtel says there is a growing expectation among his nation's population of just over five million.

He added: "Because it is the first World Cup for Slovakia, it is a big thing for all Slovakian people. So we are all looking forward to the competition and I hope that we will show our best and produce some good results there."

No comments: