Sunday, May 02, 2010

Rafa - Fans Made Me Stay


Rafa Benitez admits he has only remained with the club because of the fans, amid renewed speculation he is ready to leave Anfield.

A barrage of media reports are claiming that Juventus are again stepping up their efforts to land the Spanish tactician and he will now accept the chance to take charge in Turin.

With the club up for sale, Benitez is far from sure of his future and, following Liverpool's Europa League semi-final defeat to Atletico Madrid, Benitez refuses to talk about anything beyond this weekend's game with Chelsea on Sunday.

"At the moment I can't talk about the future long-term," he said.

"I decided to stay last year because of the fans and for one year I have been working very hard, trying to do my best and we will see what happens in the future, because Sunday's game against Chelsea is the future now."

Benitez admitted he had previously turned down 'massive offers' in order to remain at Anfield.

"The fans are the main thing, the best thing that the club has. I gave my word because of them," he said.

"I have had massive offers over the last year and I decided to stay because of them.

"It's been a very disappointing season because we couldn't achieve what we were expected to, and still I'm here and I will do my best until the end."

No comments: