Friday, May 14, 2010

Martin Skrtel Battling To Be Fit For Slovakia's World Cup 2010 'Dream'


Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel is keeping his fingers crossed that the hard work he has put into his rehabilitation from a broken metatarsal will mean that he is fit enough to play in Slovakia's World Cup campaign.

The Slovaks begin their tournament with a group game against New Zealand on June 15 and Skrtel has been putting in the hours at Liverpool's Melwood training ground in order to ensure that he makes the fixture.

"It is a proud moment for my country to have qualified and I hope to be there with them," Skrtel told the Reds' official website.

"It has been a very frustrating time for me being injured and not being available for Liverpool but all I can do is wait and see.

"I've had great support from the medical staff at Liverpool and my family, so I will do everything I can to be fit for the World Cup."

The fact that their team has managed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time means that the players will be even more motivated to do well, according to Skrtel.

"It's a big thing for Slovakia to have qualified for our first finals. It's a dream for everyone to get to South Africa," the centre-back added.

"We have achieved this dream as a country and now we have to show what we are all about and give our best."

No comments: