Sunday, May 30, 2010

Liverpool FC And Juventus Fans Must Move From Heysel Disaster, Says Ian Rush

Juventus held a mass on Friday in Turin 25 years after the Heysel stadium disaster, while a commemoration service to mark the anniversary was also held on Thursday in Liverpool.

The bells of Liverpool Town Hall rang 39 times, once for each of the victims of the tragedy at the European Cup final between the two teams on May 29, 1985.

Former Wales, Liverpool FC and Juventus striker Ian Rush believes both clubs have done a great deal to put past animosity behind them.

Five years ago a section of Juventus fans, at Anfield for a Champions League tie, turned their backs on a tribute to the 39 fans who died at the 1985 European Cup final when a wall collapsed after trouble flared between supporters, with the traveling Liverpool contingent receiving most of the criticism.

Rush, who with ex-Juventus star Michel Platini led the tributes that night, said he did not blame those Italians for their actions.

But he feels it is now time to move on and look towards a more positive future.

“We should never forget it happened but we need to move on as well,” he said.

Rush, who turned out for both sides in a long and distinguished career, added: “One thing you can always say about Juventus fans is they supported me when I played for them and they were very good to me.

“They made me feel really welcome and when I left they wanted me to stay.

“Even though people say it was not the best period for me – although I didn’t think it was too bad – one thing I’ll never forget is the supporters.

“I gave 100% and they were behind me. I think if I had stayed at Juventus another year I wouldn’t have come back, but Liverpool came in and were the only club I would go back for.”

No comments: