Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jamie Carragher: Liverpool's Champions League Failure Persuaded Me To Make Myself Available For England


Jamie Carragher has revealed that his England U-turn was accelerated by Liverpool's failure to qualify for next season's Champions League.

The 32-year-old was named in Fabio Capello's provisional World Cup squad on Tuesday, having agreed to end his self-imposed exile from international football that began in 2007.

And Carragher has admitted that, when his country came calling, it was the fear of missing out on more big occasions during the twilight of his career that encouraged him to be considered for selection.

"The FA got in touch a few weeks ago and asked if I would have a rethink, due to injury problems. I said I would make myself available," said Carragher, according to Sky Sports.

"The World Cup and Champions League are the highest levels of football.

"I'm not getting any younger, we have no Champions League football next season and I am keen to work under Fabio Capello."

Capello names his final 23-man squad for the tournament in South Africa on June 1 and Carragher is widely expected to make the cut.

No comments: