Friday, May 07, 2010

Jamie Carragher Lines Up Charity Testimonial Match


Liverpool will play an Everton XI in Jamie Carragher's charity fund-raising testimonial match on 4 September.

The 32-year-old former England defender supported the Toffees as a boy before joining Liverpool's youth set-up.

All proceeds from the game at Anfield will benefit local charities through Carragher's 23 Foundation.

"It has been in the pipeline for four or five months and I'm delighted now that I can start to talk about it properly," he said.

"Everton were always my first idea. If we had gone for a foreign team, they would have incurred appearance fees and travel costs.

"But that is not what this game is going to be about; the money we raise is for the city of Liverpool and Merseyside in general.

"Everyone knows I was an Evertonian when I was a kid and I thought it would be appropriate for the two teams in my life to have a game of football."

Former Liverpool stars Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Dietmar Hamann, Jamie Redknapp and Michael Owen have all confirmed they will take part.

No comments: