Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"I Want Liverpool To Be The Number One Club In The World"


Robbie Fowler is desperate to see Liverpool fall into the right hands as supporters, players and back room staff waits for current owners George Gillet and Tom Hicks to formally put the Premier League club up for sale.

The former Anfield favourite, who is currently plying his trade in Australia, is also sure that star duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres will not seek a move away from the struggling Liverpool despite reported interest from the likes of Manchester City, Inter Milan and Chelsea and with the future of Rafael Benitez under a cloud.

Fowler is nothing short of a Liverpool legend following two stints at the club which saw him play in the front of the Kop for a combined total of nine years. Speaking to Sky Sports News about the sad state of affairs enveloping his former club, Fowler reflected on Liverpool’s future.

"I want Liverpool to be the number one club in the world.

"Obviously the current owners have put the club up for sale and for the life of me I can't think why there are no takers just yet.

"You always want the best players and as far as I'm concerned Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torrres are the best players.

"I hope they stay and I can't see them leaving to be honest. I mean they've both come out on record saying how much they love the club and that's good enough for me."

Liverpool finished seventh in the Premier League last season, slipping five places from their best ever performance the year before. Having failed to secure Champions League football and instead facing another season in the Europa League it has been hinted that the club might struggle to attract top continental stars.

No comments: