Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gerrard Shrugs Off Transfer Talk To Focus On England



Steven Gerrard has vowed that his focus will be only on England during the World Cup and not his Liverpool future.

The midfielder goes into the finals in South Africa amid speculation about his Anfield career - just as he did four years ago at Germany 2006.

"Yes I was distracted then. I was going back to my hotel room and driving myself mad," said the 29-year-old.

"This time round I won't make the same mistake. I guarantee everyone my focus is on doing well for England."

Gerrard is also aware that this summer's tournament may represent one of his last chances to win something with England, and he is determined to maximize the opportunity.

That means blocking out transfer speculation, and also forgetting the disappointment of Liverpool's seventh-placed finish in the Premier League.

Speaking from England's training camp in Austria, Gerrard said: "Liverpool's season wasn't good enough. As a squad and a team we underachieved and we are not happy about it.

"But now I am here with England and the training has started I think it is important to park club issues and focus on the job in hand for England.

"If people want to speculate about my future, that's up to them. I cannot control that; I can only control what I am thinking myself.

"What is important to me now is the World Cup and focusing only on the World Cup.

"I have to realize that I am coming up to 30 years of age and these big tournaments only come round once every four years so maybe this is going to be my last one.

"I have to be mindful of that, make the most of it and do well."

And Gerrard indicated that England's preparations in Austria are going according to plan.

"I am fine and training with no problems. I am excited and really looking forward to the World Cup and hopefully I can remain fit and push on and do well.

"I am not really noticing much difference with the altitude. Training has been very intense, very sharp. The boys are excited and spirits are high and we need to keep that going."

As for their chances of winning the World Cup, Gerrard believes England coach Fabio Capello is creating the right environment for success.

"Fabio has been here for a couple of years so we have had time to get used to his ideas and know what he wants," added Gerrard.

"There is still a bit more time to prepare and make sure we are all ready for the tournament.

"The manager has a winning mentality and slowly he has instilled that into the players.

"During qualifying we played well, but we still have to improve a bit if we are to be successful at the World Cup.

"But things are going well and moving along really, really well."

England returns from Austria for a friendly against Mexico at Wembley on Monday.

They will then head back to their training base at Irdning two days later before playing their final pre-World Cup friendly against Japan in nearby Graz on 30 May.

England open their World Cup campaign on 12 June against USA.

No comments: