Saturday, April 03, 2010

Steven Gerrard Keeping Tabs On Jay Spearing At Leicester City

Midfielder Jay Spearing has been receiving advice on how to help Leicester City's play-off push from Liverpool and England star Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard has taken a special interest in the 21-year-old's progress since he arrived at City on loan from Liverpool and has told Spearing to show the City fans what he is capable of.

Spearing revealed how Gerrard and Jamie Carragher took him under their wing from the moment he first arrived at Liverpool's training ground at Melwood, and how vital their advice has been.

One day he hopes to emulate them and become an integral part of Liverpool's first team, and he sees his stay at City as a vital stepping-stone.

"There is no-one better than Stevie G to learn from," said Spearing, who made his full City debut at Cardiff City on Tuesday night.

"I think he is the best midfielder in the world at the moment, and I think he has been for the past few years.

"I don't need anyone else to learn from. For the defensive side of the game I look at Javier Mascherano but, from the attacking side and his all-round game, I look to Stevie G.

"I spoke to him a couple of days ago. He texted me to see how it was going and he told me to enjoy myself and just show people what I am made of at Leicester. It doesn't sink in at first but then you realise it is actually him on the phone.

"Since the first moment I went down to Melwood he has looked after me. He gives me advice and suggests areas I need to look at, and what I need to work on in games. He has been great from the off and so has Jamie Carragher, he has been a massive help as well.

"They are both Scouse lads and they see me and want Scouse lads to come through.

"From the moment we went down they grabbed us and told us to stick by them.

"If they think we could do things better they would inform us. Who better to listen to than them?"

Spearing knows he has a long way to go before he can regularly play alongside the likes Gerrard and Carragher, but in the meantime he is focused on helping City reach the play-offs.

"It would be wonderful to have play-off winners on my CV and I think we are capable of it," he said.

"We have a great young side here with plenty of willingness and desire."

No comments: