Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sotirios Kyrgiakos Keen To Claim Europa League Trophy For Liverpool


Liverpool defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos has revealed that it is his aim to ensure the Reds win the Europa League this season.

The centre-back, who moved to Merseyside in August from AEK Athens, wants to claim some silverware whilst he is at Anfield and is keen to make sure that Rafael Benitez's men beat Atletico Madrid on Thursday evening and reach the final in Hamburg.

The Greek international has been happy with his personal displays over the course of the season, but he insists that now is not the time to start looking back with satisfaction, especially with the World Cup ahead of him in the summer.

"I have been pleased with my form. I have a good relationship with the fans and I can see that they like me because I give everything for the club when I play," Kyrgiakos told LFC Weekly.

"Some of my team-mates have told me that I have become a favourite amongst the fans and I am proud of that because it is important for a footballer to be remembered in a positive way once he has gone.

"But this isn't the time to reflect. You have to keep going then in the summer, look back and analyse the season. That might not be possible until July because I have the World Cup with Greece and providing I am fit, I should be in the squad.

"At the moment, my mind is focused on Liverpool and if we finished the season with a trophy, that would mark a satisfying season for me because last pre-season, I never thought I'd even be at Liverpool."

No comments: