Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pepe Reina Commits To Liverpool With New Six-Year Contract


Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has put pen to paper on a new contract with the club, which commits him to another six years at Anfield.

The 27-year-old shot-stopper - rated as one of the best in the Premier League - will stay with the Reds until at least June 2016.

'I'm delighted to sign a new contract. It's probably the best news of my life that I'll be here for the next six years. Me and my family are really happy here, he told the club's official website.

'To play for Liverpool is very special. I've been here for five years and now I will be here for six more and it's very exciting.'

Reina moved to the Reds from Villarreal in 2005 and said his family have adjusted well to life on Merseyside, which was one of his main considerations when agreeing a new deal.

'It's very important that my family love it here as well, as family life is just as important as my career,' he continued.

'My wife told me from the beginning she was more than happy here. My kids enjoy it and they have picked up the scouse accent already. I am really proud of that.

'In the years ahead they will speak much more scouse too.'

Reina is expected to go to the World Cup this summer as Spain's second- or third-choice goalkeeper behind Real Madrid's Iker Casillas, although some Iberian pundits have speculated the Liverpool star's hopes of starting for his country are impeded somewhat by playing abroad.

He joins fellow Liverpool stars Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt in committing his long-term future to the club.

No comments: