Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mascherano Eyes Home Return


Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has revealed he would like to return to his native Argentina towards the end of his career.

The 25-year-old, who is currently in negotiations over a new contract at Anfield, admits he wants to go back to South America for a number of seasons for his swansong.

He is reportedly the target of a number of Europe's elite clubs, but could stay at Liverpool before returning home.

"You never know and I don't want to be tied down by what I say, but I don't think I'll be staying on forever," he told Fifa.com.

"Right now I'm thinking about playing for another three or four years at the highest level and returning home to play at a good level there.

"I want to enjoy Argentinian football for four or five years and I'd love to do it at River (Plate), the club that gave me everything and treated me so well."

Mascherano has been playing for the Reds since February 2007 and is enjoying his time on Merseyside, despite their poor campaign this term.

He added: "It's been fantastic and I don't get tired of saying that. They've treated my family and I superbly right from day one and we don't have any complaints."

The Argentina captain is set to lead his county out in this summer's World Cup in South Africa.

They crashed out in 2006 to hosts Germany, but Mascherano insists he is better equipped to deal with the elite tournament this time around.

"Four years ago I was still playing in South America and I'd never faced players like (Didier) Drogba and (Michael) Ballack," he remarked.

"But for the last four years I've been playing against the best every weekend and that means when you go out and play in a World Cup you know you're going to take the right decisions."

No comments: