Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jose Reina: I Want To Emulate Liverpool Legends Bruce Grobbelaar And Ray Clemence


Having recently signed a new six-year contract at Liverpool, Jose Reina has set his sights on joining fellow goalkeepers Ray Clemence and Bruce Grobbelaar as a Kop legend.

The Spaniard has been compared with the two legendary shot-stoppers, who both accumulated over 600 appearances for the Reds in successful careers. And Reina admits it is an honour to be compared with two players he has great respect for.

"It's nice people compare me to those two, who I call 'monsters' in goalkeeping terms as they were both amazing for this club," Reina told the club's official website.

"To be compared with them I have to win a lot more medals with this club as they achieved great success with Liverpool.

Reina currently has 253 appearances for the club under his belt, and with a new six-year contract at the club signed he has set himself the target of reaching his predecessors' enviable playing records.

"They both played triple the amount of games I have so far and I have got a long way to go to make over 600 appearances for this club," he said.

"It's a massive amount but I want to play over 600 games for this club one day and hopefully I can achieve that."

Liverpool has struggled this season, with qualification for next season's Champions League looking increasingly unlikely. Reina has already stated the club's current woes didn't affect his decision to sign a new contract, and he reiterated his belief that success is around the corner.

"I believe in this club and I believe we will achieve some good things for our supporters," he said.

"We have this famous history and we want to grow more success for this club in the future."

No comments: