Monday, April 26, 2010

Fernando Torres: I Fear Long-Term Injury If I Remain In The Premier League


Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is fearful that he will sustain long-term injuries if he keeps playing in the Premier League.

The Spanish international has endured an injury-ridden season and his status for the World Cup this summer could be in doubt as he needs surgery to make certrain he is fit for South Africa.

Torres has scored 18 goals in 22 Premier League games during 2009-10, but injuries have prematurely ended his campaign and he is worried he will suffer frequent stints on the sidelines if he keeps playing in England.

"The Premier League is such a tough competition and I have always admired this championship and the players who are here,” Torres told The News of the World.

"This is my third season and I'm still amazed to see [Steven] Gerrard, [Wayne] Rooney and [Frank] Lampard, players who have been here a long time, still playing at such a high level and with such impressive rhythm because the English league really wears down a player.

"I just can't imagine what state I'll be in within five or six years if I continue to play here - it could easily give me problems when I stop playing. The physical level is superior to all other countries."

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been linked with a move to Juventus in the summer, but Torres insists his fellow Spaniard is the reason why he came to Anfield.

"The difference between him and my other managers is that when I was at Atletico [Madrid] I was always over-protected," he added.

"Here, Rafa [Benitez] demands a lot and I have to live up to expectations. Some players need to be spoilt and other players like me need to always be pushed, and to have more asked of us.

"If Rafa had not been here I would never have come. He has taught me a lot and he has helped me go beyond my limits and to be the player I am today."

No comments: