Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dutch Sensation Wijnaldum Denies Talk Of "Dream" Liverpool Move


Following claims in the English media last week that Feyenoord star Georginio Wijnaldum was interested in playing for Liverpool, the 19 year-old has categorically denied that he made such comments which specified his desire to follow in Dirk Kuyt’s footsteps at Anfield.

Wijnaldum is Feyenoord's youngest ever first-team player, having made his debut aged 16. Since then, he has been a regular performer for the Rotterdam based side and the playmaker has scored three goals and contributed four assists in 27 games so far this season.

Wijnaldum was reported to have last week said, "It's my dream to play in a big league and England would be the perfect choice. To follow in the footsteps of Dirk Kuyt would be sensational. He triumphed at Feyenoord and has had great success at Liverpool."

However, according to Dutch publication Elf Voetbal, Wijnaldum was taken by surprise by the reports.

He told Elf Voetbal, "I've never talked to anyone about Liverpool! So, if it was news to you, it certainly was for me. It seems crazy in England. In the Netherlands, I have never been quoted when I haven't spoken. What do I think of Liverpool? I'm not involved with the club; I am fully focused on Feyenoord."

However, Wijnaldum said he is confident of reaching "the absolute top in Europe" at some point in his career. He is widely acknowledged as one of Holland's brightest prospects and is renowned for his excellent technique and vision.

No comments: