Sunday, March 28, 2010

Striker Eyes Red Future


A first-team debut at the Emirates, goals galore at reserve level and a part to play in Huddersfield Town's bid for promotion - it's fair to say it's been an eventful season for Nathan Eccleston.

The 19-year-old striker has made huge strides this year and marked his first game on loan at the Terriers with a debut strike at Yeovil.

Earlier this week, Liverpoolfc.tv made the trip up the M62 to see how the youngster has adapted to life in League One.

Here he tells us how Martin Kelly influenced his decision to make the move, why Terry McDermott is still passionate about all-things LFC and why he is determined to return to Anfield and make a big impression next term.

Well Nathan, you're a few months into your loan at Huddersfield Town now, how's life treating you?

It's been good. I arrived in late January and straight away the people here made me feel welcome. It's a terrific stadium and they are a good ambitious club. Hopefully we can end the season with promotion.

It's been an eventful campaign for Nathan Eccleston hasn't it...

Yes it has. I moved up from the youth team last year and it's been a whole new experience for me. I've made quite quick progress. I did well in the reserves and then the manager gave me a chance in the first-team. I had those two games within the space of a week and now I'm here on loan looking to gain more experience. As a young player I think that's what I need and I'm grateful to Huddersfield for giving me the chance.

Of course, you're not the only former red to have been on loan at Huddersfield. Last season Martin Kelly earned rave reviews here - did you speak to him when you were mulling over the move?

It all happened quite quickly really. A week earlier I was actually speaking to Martin about going out on loan and when I first heard about a potential loan move here I got on the phone to him. He basically confirmed everything, telling me that they were a good club and played football the right way. He told me he enjoyed his football here last year and that it would probably benefit me.

We bumped into former red, Terry McDermott earlier (assistant manager of Huddersfield Town). He's really pleased with how you've done so far. Has he been a big help?

Yes, definitely. The first day I arrived here all of the coaching staff were really welcoming. The players have all been great too. They could have seen it as competition for their place, but it hasn't been like that at all. They've been really helpful.

Have you had much banter with Terry Mac, particularly when you consider his past exploits with the Reds?

Yes, right from the first day, he was telling me all about his career at Liverpool and how times have changed. He's highly respected throughout the game and from what he achieved at Anfield he is rightly regarded as a legend. He's still got a big interest in Liverpool, asking me about all the up-and-coming players and who to watch out for.

You made an immediate impact too, with the winner against Yeovil. How pleasing was that to score your first senior goal?

It was great. I did a few interviews before the game in which I talked about how pleased I would be to score on my debut, so to actually do it was fantastic. But the main thing was to get the three points. I think Yeovil had only been beaten twice at home before that, so it was a bit of a dream start for me.

You've been in and out of the side since then, has that been frustrating or have you just seen it as part of your learning curve?

No, it's more about a learning curve. I'm only 19 and coming from reserve football, it is a lot different to league football. Any player who comes out on loan from the Premier League has to expect to fight for their place. You can't just expect to come out here and be in the team, you have to earn your place. It's just made me more hungry to fight for a place in the team.

Huddersfield are currently pushing for a place in the play-offs. Would the dream finale be for you to play in the final at Wembley?

Yes, definitely. Obviously, it's something you aspire to do when you are young boy. Just playing there in itself is a big achievement. If we can do that it would be magnificent for the club and obviously for me as an individual as well.

And just finally, in the summer your main aim must be to return to Liverpool and try to kick-on again...

That's my personal goal. I've come here to gain the experience so that I can go back to Liverpool and push for a place in the first team squad. I've got three more years to do that, so I'm looking forward to going back there in the summer.

No comments: