Monday, March 29, 2010

Steven Gerrard Looks To Win World Cup And Premier League In Next Five Years


Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard hopes to accomplish the two principal goals of his career in the next five years by winning a World Cup with England and a Premier League title with the Reds.

Gerrard will turn 30 years old when England face Japan in a friendly on May 30, just a few days before the Three Lions travel to South Africa for the World Cup.

With a career that has included 78 international appearances for England and a starring role with Liverpool over the last 12 season, Gerrard knows that he only has a couple of years left to achieve some of footballs top honours.

“It’s a big time for me – I am aware of my age and what I want out of the remainder of my career,” Gerrard told The Mirror.

“I look after myself, and I’m in good shape physically so I believe I’ve still got five years to fight for all the big prizes in football. I’ll do everything I can to keep going.”

The last year has been one of international success mixed with club disappointment, but Gerrard knows that in football things change quickly.

“It’s fair to say it’s been a mixed season for me.

“It’s been positive for England, because we’ve qualified for the World Cup and we’ve been winning football matches. But at Liverpool there have been times when it has been tough. But that’s football, you have to deal with that.

“There’s a chance to finish the season on a high with Liverpool now, by finishing fourth and going to a cup final. It would be fantastic if we could achieve both of those things. Then you focus on the World Cup.

“That will give me a big lift going to the World Cup, and then I’ll be going feeling ­positive that I can achieve something really important with England.”

No comments: