Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ryan Babel Hopeful Liverpool Form Can Take Him To South Africa


Liverpool winger Ryan Babel is optimistic that his improving club form could yet win him a call-up to the Netherlands squad which travels to South Africa for the World Cup this summer.

The player had looked out of favour at Anfield earlier this season, but a recent run of first-team appearances has shown that he still has plenty to offer.

He looked set for a January exit, but talks with manager Rafael Benitez have cleared the air and he has featured in the Reds' last 12 games.

And that run of steady form might just now enable him to catch Oranje coach Bert van Marwjik's eye in the run-up to this summer's showpiece occasion.

"Every player wants to get a run of games to show what he can do. I hope I can continue to show more – If I can then I will be happy," Babel told The Liverpool Echo.

"Hopefully I can give something back to the squad. I’m slowly feeling more confident.

"I’m playing games now and want to show what I can do.

"The fans expect me always to dribble and take men on.

"It’s not always possible but I try to do it as much as I can.

"I like to take men on and hopefully I’ll show more of that in the future. I know if I play a lot of games then I’ll have a good chance of going to the World Cup."

No comments: