Monday, March 22, 2010

Reina Proud To Commit Long-Term Future To Liverpool

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has spoken of his pride in signing a four year extension to his Anfield contract, committing the next six years of his career to the Reds.

The 27 year-old joined Liverpool from Valencia in 2005 and is set to spend the best years of his career now at Anfield.

He said, "I am really proud and really lucky to be here.

"I felt wanted from the beginning and these kind of things are personal. My mind is clear, my decision is taken and I have no regrets at all.

"It is nice to hear that other teams want me. But I am not thinking about leaving Liverpool at all. This is the right club for me.

"I don't see it as a sacrifice, signing for so long, and it doesn't make any difference to me if some people are saying I could have had my pick of clubs across Europe.

"I have talked it through with my wife and we don't see any better place to go. It is personal as well as professional. The education of my child is another factor and I feel it would be brilliant for my kids to grow up speaking two languages.

"I want them to speak English as well as Spanish and if it turns out to be with a Scouse accent, I will still be proud of them!"

Reina accepts that Liverpool have endured a disappointing season although they still harbour hopes of Europa League glory. Nonetheless, he is confident of future success for Liverpool and admires the loyalty of the club’s fans.

Reina continued, "We always want the best for the supporters and to deliver trophies for them. But even when we are not, they are always behind the team and that is priceless,

"All of us want to win trophies but sometimes that is not the case, and you cannot throw in the towel. It has been a long wait for the fans, 20 years without a league title, and I would just love to be here when and if it happens.”

No comments: