Sunday, March 07, 2010

Liverpool FC Starlet Eyes Athletic Bilbao Switch


Mikel San José is hoping to secure a permanent move to Athletic Bilbao after rejoining his former club last summer on loan from Liverpool.

The defender was signed by Rafael Benitez for £270,000 in summer 2007 after helping Spain to glory in the UEFA Under-19 Championship but found himself back in his homeland less than two years later.

Now 20, San José has expressed his wish to remain with Los Leones on a permanent basis after establishing himself in first team following injuries to Ustaritz Aldekoaotalora and Aitor Ocio.

He said: "At the moment I'm not concerning myself with this topic - there are people who are aware of the situation and I'm focused on playing," he revealed.

"What happens, happens. I'm happy here and, if it's possible, I would like to stay here.

"Things have changed a lot since I first came here. When I wasn't playing I was still happy and now I am enjoying more minutes. There's nothing that would make staying here a bad option."

Should Bilbao agree to secure the Pamplona-born player's services on a permanent contract, they would have to pay €9 million, inkeeping with a clause in the loan agreement reached with the Reds.

No comments: