Sunday, March 14, 2010

Kelly: My Debt To Finnan


Steve Finnan returns to Anfield with Portsmouth on Monday night with one Liverpool player in particular eager to thank him for his valuable assistance.

Martin Kelly was coming through the ranks at the Academy when Finnan was part of Rafa's squad preparing for the glory that was Istanbul.

Despite his first team status, the Republic of Ireland international always made sure he had time to speak to the aspiring youngsters and help them in any way he could.

"I used to watch Steve closely when he played for us because he was so consistent and he is a great person off the pitch as well," Kelly told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He was good to watch and he would always help everyone. If he saw you were shy he would come over and talk to you and make you feel like you belonged at the club.

"He is a great player and a great person to have around. He is still playing well for Portsmouth and Steve is still someone I look up to."

Kelly has also spoken of his respect for the Portsmouth players who, despite the well documented off-field problems, have reached the FA Cup semi-finals.

"I've got a great deal of respect for those players for getting on with their job and doing a good job for Portsmouth, he added.

"They have a great team spirit and it's great achievement to get to the semi-final.

"For us it's important to start winning again and we need to forget about Wigan and put that behind us.

"We've got two home games coming up and we need to concentrate on Portsmouth first and get the three points."

The 19-year-old joined the Academy at the age of seven after being spotted at the Alan Kennedy Soccer School and has made his first team breakthrough this season as a right-back. The Reds number 34 has played most of his football at Liverpool as a centre-half, but Benitez favours him as a full-back."I don't know what my best position is to be honest but this season I've been playing at right back and am enjoying it," he added.

"I played at centre half in a practice game in training the other day and it felt weird to be honest because I haven't played there for so long. I don't mind either position and I'm enjoying playing at right back.

"The boss plays me at right back in training and that's where I have played for the first team this season. I can also play at left back if the boss needs me and it doesn't make much difference for me. I will adapt for the team."

Kelly has also spoken about the challenge he faces to try and hold down a regular place in the first team at Anfield, and added: "When you get the chance you have to give your best and try and show the manager why he should keep you in the team.

"It is hard being a local lad because of the players that have been brought here so I have just got to keep working hard and show him I'm good enough to deserve a chance in the first team.

"I admire Glen Johnson a lot as he is England's best right-back so I can only learn from him every day and that can only be good for my game.

"I wouldn't swap this job for anything and it's brilliant training with the first team every day and learning so much off someone like Jamie Carragher."

No comments: