Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Benitez: I Had No Doubts


Rafa Benitez claims he never doubted Liverpool's potential to produce the kind of football witnessed against Portsmouth.

The Reds thumped Avram Grant's strugglers 4-1 on Monday with a performance reminiscent of last year's run-in.

Benitez said: "You know we've had too many injuries to important players this season. We've had Johnson, Gerrard, Agger, Torres, Yossi and Aurelio injured.

"These are players with quality and when you put them all together and they're fully fit then the team will play much better.

"We saw against Portsmouth three or four of these players together and you saw good play.

"We're still in a difficult situation but if we can play at this level we know we can beat anyone.

"After the defeat at Wigan the players knew they needed to improve and play well. I said after Lille that we lost but the players worked really hard.

"At Anfield we knew we could do it with the fans behind us and as soon as we scored the first goal you could see the team enjoying it."

Benitez added: "I am really focused on trying to do my job and doing the best I can for my team and the fans who were singing my name. I try to stay focused and win games."

No comments: