Saturday, March 20, 2010

Albert Riera: I'm Not Looking For Trouble With Rafael Benitez

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has tried to underplay his harsh analysis of manager Rafael Benitez to the Spanish media.

The former Espanyol midfielder played a significant part in the Reds' rise in almost claiming the Premier League title last season, only to be pipped to the title by Manchester United.

In comparison to his exploits last term, the Spaniard has barely been given a run out on the pitch this time around. And his recent views on the club, branding the Reds as a "sinking ship" did not go down well with the Anfield faithful.

"I do not want to make trouble with the manager," Riera said, according to the Press Association.

"I am not interested in making Rafa my enemy in the slightest, quite the opposite, but ultimately it is about playing, and if I am not, we have to talk about why not.

"We have not had any talk about why it is.

"I played all of last year, and sometimes if I did not play so well in one game, I would still play the next week. But this season I have not played at all.

"I believe in these situations it is better to talk about it and try to fix it, or at least make sure everyone knows where they stand. I have no problem talking to people."

Despite previously hinting of an imminent departure, the 27-year-old maintains that he is willing to remain at the club if regular appearances are in the offing.

"I am delighted to play for Liverpool and if I was playing, I would love to stay, because it is a brilliant place to play football," added Riera.

"But if I am not playing I have no chance of going to the World Cup, so I am trying to solve the problem so I at least have a small chance."

The 27-year-old has reportedly been docked two weeks wages for his strong comments.

It is also believed that the player has been told not to return to training before Monday, which appears to be a pre-emptive measure to ensure that the blockbuster game against Manchester United on Sunday does not have any unwanted distractions.

"The timing was not the best for the team and we will deal with this internally," said Benitez, when quizzed regarding the fractured relationship with the player.

No comments: