Saturday, February 20, 2010

Unirea Urziceni Defender Bruno Fernandes Disappointed After Liverpool Loss

Romanian minnows Unirea Urziceni put in an impressive defensive display in Thursday's Europa League match against Liverpool, but the English side eventually picked up a 1-0 victory, much to the dismay of Unirea defender Bruno Fernandes.

"If you'd told me it would be only 1-0 here against Liverpool, I'd say it was a good result, but after what I saw and what our team produced in terms of defensive work and sacrifice, 0-0 would be a good result so I am disappointed," said Fernandes to uefa.com.

"In the beginning, when we came into the game, we saw how difficult it was but I guess overall we did pretty well. I was surprised by the rhythm we were able to sustain – I didn't expect us to be as good as we were physically.

"But the way we closed the spaces and didn't let Liverpool play inside as they like and forced them wide is normal for us. We worked very hard on that aspect.

"We have to go forward in the second leg, because we need to score to equalise and maybe Liverpool will wait a little bit and not go forward so much like they did here."

No comments: