Friday, February 05, 2010

Riera: Torres And Reina Are Staying At Liverpool For Long Term

Liverpool winger Albert Riera has claimed that he and fellow Spaniards Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina are committed to Anfield for the long term.

Given Liverpool's problems this season and the constant speculation over manager Rafa Benitez, there has been speculation that there would be a mass exodus from Anfield should the Reds fail to qualify for the Champions League.

Talking about the club's Spanish contingent, Riera has emphatically dismissed the rumours of discontent.

He said, "It isn't in the character of any of us to turn our backs and run somewhere else when times are tough.

"All of us would like to look back on our Liverpool career and say it was a success. It is clear how happy Pepe and Fernando are at the club and I have no doubt they will both be here for a very long time no matter what happens.

"They have both said to me that they want to make history with Liverpool and I share that ambition"

Talking about his own desire to stay, Riera added, "For me, if the club offered a five, six or seven year contract right now, I'd sign it with my eyes closed. Where else is there to go? Being anywhere else would be a step down. I have everything I need in Liverpool."

No comments: