Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Reds Missed Out On England Forward

West Ham forward Carlton Cole has revealed that he rejected a number of advances from admiring clubs in the January transfer window.

Sport.co.uk understands that the clubs in question are believed to be Liverpool and Arsenal.

Although a number of reports suggest Arsenal's North London rivals Tottenham Hotpsur were considering making an offer for the West Ham and England striker.

Reports suggest both leading Premier League clubs made bids in the region of £10 million for the front-man. The cash-strapped Hammers reportedly rejected the offers as they value the England star at £20 million, confirming they will only cash in on their talisman for big money.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was looking for a front-man in the January transfer window but decided not to pursue Carlton Cole after the club slapped a £20 million price tag on the player, and Danish forward Nicklas Bendtner made a rapid recovery from injury.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has also tracked the forward in the last year, and was eager to provide competition for Fernando Torres, and French youngster David Ngog. Benitez is understood to have made an enquiry regarding Cole, as well as looking closely at Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones.

However despite speculation, West Ham forward Carlton Cole has revealed he always wanted to stay and help the Upton Park club beat relegation:

Carlton Cole told SkySports.com: "My only priority is to get back to full fitness and do my best on the pitch. I wasn't in the least bit interested in entertaining offers, my only focus was and still is to do the best I can for West Ham for the rest of the season in the situation we are in.

"My only priority is to get back to full fitness and do my best on the pitch.

"There has been speculation about my future; however, I am not one to shirk my responsibility.

"I am looking forward to enjoying a good end to the season by producing some good performances to repay the Upton Park faithful."

No comments: