Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jamie Carragher Amazed By Liverpool Fans' Criticism Of Him And Steven Gerrard


Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher feels that he and his team-mates have reacted well to the criticism that came their way earlier on in the season.

The centre-back believes that he worked hard to get his form back after the Reds' well-documented early-season woe.

But he is still surprised by the intensity of some of the criticism that came his and Steven Gerrard's way, with fans' expectations of local stars much higher than for other players.

"I'm pleased by how I reacted to it, especially in some of the big games we've played recently," the former England international told the Reds' official website.

"When you get to my age you're taking it a year at a time so I get pride out of every good performance.

"It may sound strange because of the year we've had, but I'm proud of a lot of this season too.

"I fought to get my form back. I could have hidden or taken myself out of the firing line as I know a lot of players do. I wanted to be out there and now I feel I've come out the other side.

"I think when me and Stevie aren't around in five years' time, people will look back at the last few years and recognise how much we gave for the club.

"It's unbelievable some of the criticism Stevie gets sometimes, given his influence on the trophies we've won.

"In football, generally people remember you more fondly when you're not there any more.

"Loyalty is taken for granted in the local lads, not just at Liverpool but at all clubs. We're the ones people want to sort things out because we know what it means to the supporters. You're not seen as a big star. You're part of the furniture so people don't get as excited by the fact you're here."

Carragher also feels that Liverpool fans tend to have selective memories about players who have left the club. Supporters often seem to remember Reds players as being better than they actually were, according to the 32-year-old.

"Plenty of players I've worked with have developed better reputations as Liverpool players after they've left," he added.

"Fans tend to remember the good times. Lads who have left us get talked up, but they didn't always set the place alight when they were here.

"I don't think it helps to dwell on those who have left.

"You can't keep looking back like that. I wish Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush were still in the team too so you might as well be arguing we'd win the league if we still had them."

No comments: