Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reds Starlet Delight At Deal


Liverpool youngster Nathan Eccleston has expressed his delight at signing a new long-term contract at Anfield.

The 19-year-old Manchester-born starlet would have been out of contact in the summer, but is now committed to the club until 2013.

Eccleston made his first-team debut against Arsenal in the Carling Cup this season before coming off the bench in the league at Fulham.

Red boss Rafa Benitez is keen to retain the club's brightest youngsters and believes with hard work that Eccleston can be a 'player' with his talent.

Eccleston is delighted to have been given first-team opportunities this season and hopes more hard work will result in further appearances.

"I'm really excited about my new deal. It's a good club," he told skysports.com. "The boss is happy with my progress this season.

"He's given me my chance and hopefully I'll get more chances in the future. I've got to keep working hard in training and impressing that way.

"If there's injuries like that time I can be given even more of a chance. Overall I'm looking to get more first-team experience."

Eccleston has been linked with a move to the Championship to gain more first-team football and he would be interested in a loan move.

"If it's the case that I might not be looking to play more games for Liverpool then another option is to go out on loan," he continued.

"I'm still a young player and I need to gain experience in games.

"If I'm to break into Liverpool's first team I need to have been in the Championship to gain experience. It's a good level of football.

"If I can show that I can succeed in the Championship then I can come back and be more able to play with the first-teamers."

Liverpool are packed with attacking talent and Eccleston admits Spain international Fernando Torres is a great player to learn from.

"Torres? What more can I say really? It's great training with Fernando," he concluded.

"It's good to watch and learn from a player like him. I'm looking to increase my experience in any shape or form.

"He doesn't speak a lot of English, but by not saying things with words he kind of shows you in training. He does it by example."

No comments: