Friday, January 29, 2010

"Liverpool Fans Are Very Loyal, Very Kind And Very Passionate"


Former Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko has spoken of his pride at playing for Rafael Benitez at Anfield and stressed that the Spanish coach is worthy of any coaching job in Europe despite currently being under-fire on Merseyside.

Playing down rumours linking the Reds boss with his current side Juventus, the Malian international also hinted that the passion and loyalty of the Liverpool fans would be an important factor in the club’s future success.

“Rafa is a successful coach who can get any good job in Europe. He will be asked to take many jobs in Europe."

Sissoko was snapped up as a youngster by Benitez during the coach’s successful three year spell at Valencia before following the tactician to Liverpool in 2005 and anchoring the midfield alongside Steven Gerrard.

Reflecting on his time in the Premier League, the imposing enforcer continued:

“Rafa is a very good coach who had confidence in me. He made me proud to play for Liverpool. He made me work, work, work and made me improve.

“The Liverpool fans are very loyal, very kind and very passionate. Playing at Anfield was very special to me and I enjoyed playing there. Rafa has their support so that is important for him that the fans believe in him.”

Despite the widespread speculation in the Italian press linking Benitez with the top job at Juventus, Sissoko claimed to be none the wiser.

“I don’t know,” said Sissoko. “All I know is that my coach has confidence in me and I like it here.”

No comments: