Saturday, January 30, 2010

Keeper Happy To Extend Stanley Stay

Dean Bouzanis plays the last game of his current loan spell at Accrington Stanley tomorrow, but the goalkeeper says he is keen to stay for the rest of the season as he bids to earn a new deal at Liverpool.

Bouzanis joined Stanley from Liverpool in late November but the 19-year-old's loan is currently due to expire this weekend.

Stanley are making attempts to extend the deal until the end of the season - as they are with Blackburn Rovers defender Johnny Flynn and Leicester striker Billy Kee - with Ian Dunbavin their only other senior keeper at the moment.

Bouzanis is due to be out of contract at Anfield in the summer so he is more than happy to remain with Stanley until May and prove himself to Rafa Benitez.

"I'd like to stay until the end of the season and then my contract is up, but I'm hoping to re-sign with Liverpool," said Bouzanis, who got his wish by getting the jersey of fellow Australian keeper Mark Schwarzer after the Fulham game.

"I know Liverpool have someone at virtually every game watching me."

Bouzanis moved to Liverpool from Sydney at the age of 16 and admits he took time to settle.

"I really struggled with homesickness for the first couple of months and I didn't think I'd get through it," he said.

"I was just looking forward to going back home at Christmas.

"But my family comes over every three or four months, people over here helped me and I adapted to the English lifestyle."

No comments: