Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fabregas: Liverpool's Night In Istanbul Is My Favourite


Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has revealed that the most memorable match which he has ever watched as a football fan was Liverpool’s epic Champions League final victory against AC Milan in 2005.

The 22-year-old Gunner recalled how Rafael Benitez’s side battled back from a 3-0 deficit at half-time to take the match to extra time before eventually sealing the game in a dramatic penalty shootout.

Goals by Steven Gerrard, Vladimir Smicer and Xabi Alonso and the goalkeeping antics of Jerzy Dudek were fundamental for the Anfield outfit on the night as one side of Merseyside turned Istanbul red.

Asked in an interview with Champions magazine to talk about his favourite match, the Arsenal midfielder revealed:

“It would have to be the 2005 Champions League final between Liverpool and Milan – a spectacular game.

“After that, the return leg of the semi-final last season between Barcelona and Chelsea. Obviously I enjoyed it because the winning goal was scored by a friend of mine, Andrés Iniesta, but Barcelona were practically out of that game and that goal was a historic moment.

“I wasn’t at the game; I saw it on the telly. It’s hard to go and watch games when you’re a player, with all the people there. I hardly ever go, even though I love football. I have been to Camp Nou a few times to see friends like Puyi [Carles Puyol] or Gerard [Piqué]. But I don’t like to bother them after the game. I just go, watch the match, and then leave.”

No comments: