Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Darby Thanks Reds Team-Mates


Liverpool youngster Stephen Darby has expressed his thanks after returning to the Reds team against Reading.

The 21-year-old defender played 90 minutes as Liverpool drew 1-1 in the FA Cup at the Madejski Stadium, earning the Royals a replay at Anfield next Wednesday.

Darby made his Reds debut in the UEFA Champions League against Fiorentina in December, but what should have been a day to remember turned to disaster when he gifted Viola forward Alberto Gilardino a goal which sealed the win for the away side, ending Liverpool's European campaign on a sour note.

Darby admits he was at a low ebb after the error, but has thanked his team-mates for picking him up and giving him the confidence to bounce back.

"It's something I've got to learn from and I couldn't dwell on it too much," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I tried to put it behind me quickly and use the experience to make me a better player.

"It was a night of mixed emotions; obviously it was amazing to make my debut at Anfield but to concede a goal like I did in the last minute was very disappointing.

"It really hurt for a couple of days after, I can safely say that. But the lads got behind me and gave me great advice and encouragement."

Darby was delighted to make manager Rafa Benitez's starting XI for the cup match against Reading, and hopes he has done enough to deserve another shot in the first-team with Glen Johnson out injured.

"Hopefully there will be a couple of more chances in the next couple of weeks," he added. "You've got to be level-headed and realise the hard work is only just beginning.

"It was important to get another game. Now it's just a question of continuing to work hard and hopefully showing enough to impress the coaching staff.

"There are a number of possibilities for the manager and he can change things around; the competition for places is massive but all I can do is keep working hard."

Liverpool were not on their best form for the trip to Berkshire, but although Darby admitted the team were disappointed with the performance, he expects them to prove their worth in the replay.

"We were disappointed to go a goal down but I thought we fought back well but, at the end, we were disappointed not to win the game," he remarked.

"They put us under a bit of pressure and we had a couple of chances but, unfortunately, we didn't take them; as a team I thought we battled well after going a goal down.

"It's only half-time, we've got the replay to come and hopefully we'll put it right.

"We were really compact and defended well; it was just a big confidence boost to start and shows that the manager has faith in me. Now I have got to try and repay it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.