Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Steven Gerrard: I'm No Liverpool Legend Yet


Steven Gerrard has rejected the tag of 'Liverpool legend', insisting that his decorated career will be incomplete if it ends without a Premier League title to show for it.

The England star made his 500th appearance for the Anfield giants in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Blackburn Rovers; a milestone that brought with it praise and testimony from all over the country.

However, Gerrard refutes the notion that his contribution to the Kop matches that of past greats such as Kenny Dalgish, Alan Hansen and Ian Rush.

"I don't think I'm a Liverpool legend," he said in The Mirror. "You can only call players legends when they've finished and you look back on their careers and they have been successful or a top player throughout.

"A lot of people give the legendary status out too early for my liking. I don't see myself as a legend - I see the likes of Dalglish, Hansen and Rush as legends.

"They have been there and done it. Hopefully one day I can look back on what I've achieved and can say I'm a part of the legends at this club, but I certainly wouldn't put myself in that bracket now."

The Reds haven't won the English championship since 1990, and many thought that hoodoo was nearing an end after they finished a close second to Manchester United last season.

However, 2009-10 has been a disaster to date, on both the domestic and European fronts, and Gerrard couldn't hide his annoyance at the way things have panned out.

"It's frustrating to be where we are in the league now because this was meant to be the year where we were going to be right up there all the way through," he said.

"It would mean everything to win it. It's frustrating not to have it already and I've come close on a couple of occasions.

"I will continue to fight for the Premier League from now until I stop playing. Hopefully I can add it to my collection because it would round a fantastic career off.

"It would be extra special if I could do it as captain in the next couple of years. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be captain for - probably another two or three years. If not as captain, then hopefully I can still lift it as a Liverpool player.

"Now, though, it's important for us to try to get back up to the top of the table."

At 29, Gerrard knows all too well that time is the enemy in his quest for a league winner's medal - especially if he wishes to fulfil his dream of winning it as captain.

He continued: "I've been around for 11 years and I'm getting towards the 30 years of age mark now, so I'm running out of time. I want to make the most of the next four or five years.

"I've still got many more ambitions and dreams that I want to fulfill before I finish."

No comments: