Saturday, December 05, 2009

Steven Gerrard: I Have Total Belief In My Liverpool Team-Mates

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has affirmed his faith in the abilities of his Anfield team-mates, claiming that there is enough spirit and quality within the camp to see the side through their current bad patch.

"I have total belief in my team-mates. We have certainly under-achieved this season," he told his club's official website.

"But after last season where we finished so close in second, we're virtually the same group of players. We've added a couple to that, obviously Glen Johnson who is a top player.

"We've just underachieved this year, we haven't played to our capabilities. What we've learned so far this season is that if you do under-perform and don't match the teams around you chasing it, you will certainly fall behind as we have done.

"There are some fantastic teams out there full of world-class players. There are six or seven top-class teams in the league at the moment, all fighting for the top four positions. The league is very difficult, we realise that.

"But we certainly won't stop trying and we'll keep working hard to try and bring it back for all those Liverpool fans that are desperate for it as well.

"It's been too long without a league title and because it is missing from my collection it is one that I'm most desperate for going forward."

The England international is also hoping that Rafa Benitez's team can build on the momentum of Sunday's win at Everton against Blackburn Rovers at the weekend - likely to be Gerrard's 500th appearance for the club.

"Our main target is to get back into the top four. We're coming off the back of a fantastic win at Everton and we want to continue that against Blackburn and try and go on a run of games where we can get closer to the teams above us," he added, before revealing just what an honour reaching the milestone of 500 games was to him.

"It means everything to me personally," he affirmed.

"I'm a local boy and my dream when I was young was always just to play one game for Liverpool. So to reach this milestone is a really proud moment for my family and myself."

No comments: