Friday, December 18, 2009

Jamie Carragher Hoping To Break Ray Clemence's Appearance Record For Liverpool


Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has revealed that he is aiming to surpass Ray Clemence in the club's appearance list.

The 31-year-old will play his 600th game for the Reds on Saturday, when his side travels to play Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

Although the all-time record set by Ian Callaghan is a long way off at a mammoth 857 appearances, the defender feels second-placed Clemence's tally of 665 games is well within reach.

"When you're a Liverpool player, you never look too far ahead because if you do that you'll end up not focusing on what is immediately in front of you," Carragher told LFC Weekly.

"It's a cliché but it's true. My target at the beginning of each season is to play 50 games. If I don't do that, I'm disappointed.

"But I understand that I'm getting older and in a few years' time that may not be possible. I've got another 18 months left on my contract so I'd like to be playing regularly next season. That means potentially, I could finish this season on 620-25 then play another 40 odd games next season - taking me into second position in the all-time appearance list.

"Passing Ray Clemence would make me happy. It will prove that I've been up for the fight for a long time."

No comments: