Monday, December 14, 2009

I Will Not Walk Away From Liverpool - Rafael Benitez

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez insists that he will not abandon the club and walk away from the crisis that they are facing.

The Reds have bowed out of the Champions League and are well off the pace in the Premier League, where they currently sit seventh in the standings.

There have been many questions asked of the Anfield giants' top-four credentials, while Benitez has come under harsh criticism for his selection policy and decision-making.

But despite all the perceived problems, the former Valencia manager has stressed that he intends to stay on Merseyside for the long haul and will not entertain offers from elsewhere.

"I am happy here and if another club wanted me I would once again say no," the Spaniard is quoted in The Mirror as saying.

"When I decided to sign my new contract I was very clear - that I was signing to stay for another five years.

"Nothing has changed in my mind. I thought we could improve and I still think that we will improve."

Liverpool have been struggling under the pressure of debt believed to be well over the £300 million mark, but Benitez stands firm.

"I knew at the start of the season that we would all have to work together to reduce the debts and at the same time try to keep the team doing well on the pitch," he said.

"It was something I understood and accepted. It is all part of the business of being the manager of this football club."

No comments: