Saturday, November 21, 2009

Martin Kelly Respects Liverpool Rival Daniel Ayala


Liverpool full-back Martin Kelly has spoken of his respect for colleague Daniel Ayala, despite the fact that the young Spaniard is in direct competition with him for a place in the team.

Both 19-year-olds have represented their countries at youth level and both have now played for Rafa Benitez's first-team, but Kelly insists that their relationship is positive.

"There is a healthy rivalry," the Englishman told the Reds' official website.

"He came in from Spain when I came up from the Academy. We bonded and I have to take my hat off to Dani this season. He's done well and I have to respect that.

"I've got to play football for myself and not look at what anyone else is doing. I need to focus on what I'm doing as a football player and hopefully I'm developing well.

"My dad has always said to me to let other players worry about me. That's what I try to do."

Kelly made his full debut for the Reds against Lyon last month, and says the experience of fellow academy graduate Jay Spearing helped him adjust to the situation quickly.

"You have an idea you're playing during training but I didn't know for sure until about an hour and a half before kick-off. Then the butterflies started," he added.

"Luckily, Jay (Spearing) made his debut the week before, so he was going through a similar thing.

"I'd told him that the boss clearly believed in him, so he had to go out there and take his chance. And he was there to say the same to me. We sit next to each other in the changing room, so he gave me a little bit of advice.

"It lived up to expectations. At the start when You'll Never Walk Alone finished and then we ran out to the Champions League music - you can't get better than that.

"Now I've had a taste of playing in the first team I want to play as much as I can."

The versatile Kelly says he is not yet sure of his best position, but reveals that the experienced defenders at the club are helping his development though.

"At the moment I don't know which is my best position," said the 19-year-old. "I'll play anywhere across the back four. When I went to Huddersfield I played at left-back for the first three games and it didn't seem any different to right-back. I don't mind where I play.

"I've been working hard on the tactical side of my game, which helps. That's coming along and I can't thank the coaching staff enough for what they've done to bring me on as a player.

"The defenders here are top-class players but I'll be trying my hardest in training.

"They [Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel] have been great with me, giving me advice and telling me how to put anything I'm doing wrong right.

"Training with them every day is fantastic - I can't wait to get out there with them and then I don't want the training sessions to finish."

No comments: