Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lucas Leiva: I Want To Emulate My Uncle For Brazil


Liverpool and Brazil midfielder Lucas Leiva has conceded that he would like to emulate his uncle Leivinha by making the final squad that will travel to the World Cup in South Africa next year.

Leivinha played in the 1974 World Cup for the Verde e Amarelo and earned a total of 21 caps, scoring seven goals in the process.

Following his performances for the Reds, the 22-year-old nephew earned a place on the Samba bench against England, though he remained an unused substitute.

"I need to have a great season because of Brazil," Lucas said on the club's official website.

"The World Cup is around the corner and I want to be part of it.

"For my family it's a bit more special as my uncle, Leivinha, was in the Brazil squad for Germany in 1974 and I want to emulate him."

At the club level, the Brazilian admits that he needs to up his game to retain a spot in the starting line-up, as the return of Alberto Aquilani will induce some competition for places.

"I have to be more versatile at Liverpool because sometimes I will need to play alongside Javier Mascherano and other times with Steven Gerrard, which will demand a different tactical role for me," he said.

"But I already believe I've proved to Liverpool fans that I'm willing to sweat blood for this club and to try and make the crowd happy."

No comments: