Sunday, November 29, 2009

Lucas Faces Up To Detractors


Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva believes he will never win over all of his detractors as he prepares himself for another daunting challenge in the 212th Merseyside derby.

Last season the Brazilian was sent off at Everton in an FA Cup replay defeat, a run of three league and cup games in 17 days between the two clubs in which Liverpool failed to achieve a victory.

It was not the best of times for the 22-year-old as he suffered abuse and criticism from all quarters.

But manager Rafael Benitez has stood by him, and in a season that has seen Liverpool lurch from one crisis to another, Lucas has established himself in the side and started to win grudging praise from his critics.

Lucas says: "I am trying to improve all the time and I am feeling good on the pitch. I have improved a lot since last season and hopefully I will keep going.

"But things might always be more difficult for me at Liverpool, to be honest, but I am trying to prove I can do well for myself and my team-mates. The real supporters of Liverpool know this and support me a lot."

Lucas has been linked with a possible move away from Anfield in the next transfer window, but Benitez has constantly praised the youngster's attitude and effort and intends to persevere with a player who is expected to be in Brazil's squad for the summer World Cup finals in South Africa.

That is a measure of his improvement, and the player adds: "When I came to Liverpool I came with a challenge of winning titles and making history for the club. Hopefully I can still do that.

"I am playing almost every game now. I have a good link with Javier Mascherano. I understand the way he plays and he helps me a lot. I think it's good for the team that we can keep the balance."

Liverpool find themselves facing their local rivals after plunging out of the Champions League despite the scrappy 1-0 group E victory in Hungary against Debrecen.

That leaves Lucas and co facing life - with Everton - in the Europa League.

He went on: "We have to move on. We did not do enough to get to the next stage of the Champions League, and so now we have to concentrate on the Europa League and getting into a better position domestically. "We will try to win the Europa League because it is still an important competition. Some good teams play in it but we will be trying to get a title for ourselves."

But first Liverpool need to re-assert themselves in the Premier League as the pressure to oust them from the big four grows.

Benitez said: "We know that three points is crucial for everyone considering the position both clubs find themselves in.

"I will try to send the players out with the right message, to be calm, to do our jobs properly and not to be overcome just by passion, we have to do the right things regardless of the opponents.

"But this derby will not be any more aggressive than before, it does not matter where the two teams are or what their form is, the derby is always played the same way.

"It is good for the city. Everyone has to defend and support their own team, but afterwards we all have great respect for our rivals.

"The game has more passion and more emotion than others in the Premier League. But that never changes."

He added: "But it is not just about winning the derby, our players want to prove they are good enough. To prove we can be in the top four.

"We have to start winning, then we will see a massive difference. Being in the top four is the main objective now.

"It will be high tempo, more physical with a lot of direct play. We know this and hopefully it will be good for the fans to experience, especially our fans."

No comments: