Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Liverpool Can Make The Champions League Knock-Out Stage - Martin Skrtel

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel believes that the Reds can make it through to the knock-out phase in the Champions League.

The Merseyside club do not have their fate in their own hands at the moment, as a win against Debrecen will have to be followed by a victory for Olympique Lyonnais away at Fiorentina to ensure that Rafael Benitez's charges remain in the running to reach the last 16.

Should the aforementioned outcomes come to pass, the Anfield outfit would still need to beat the Viola in the final game of the group stage in order to progress.

"We now have a big game coming up on Tuesday, and we have to forget about the [Manchester] City result [2-2 draw] and start thinking about Debrecen because it is a game we have to win," said Skrtel, according to the Press Association.

"I am looking forward to it and I will give my all to try and help us get a good result. We believe we can get to the last 16."

The Slovakia international scored his first goal in a red jersey in Saturday's stalemate at Anfield.

"I was very happy to score my first goal for Liverpool at the weekend," he said.

"I have been waiting a long time for it, so it was a good moment for me.

"I am in my third season here and hadn't managed to score until Saturday, but I hope this is the first of many.

"But we were frustrated to have drawn again and we are not happy because of that. But there is nothing we can do about the result now and we have to look forward to the next game and try to win."

No comments: