Monday, October 12, 2009

Plessis Eyeing Cup Action

Damien Plessis is hoping to secure his first senior appearance of the 2009-10 season when Liverpool do battle with Arsenal in the fourth round of the Carling Cup later this month.

The French midfielder was an unused substitute for the victory over Leeds United at the last stage of the competition, and is eager to be involved against the Gunners at the Emirates.

It's a venue that holds special significance for the 21-year-old as it was away to Arsenal in a Barclays Premier League encounter in April 2008 that manager Rafael Benitez handed Plessis his Reds debut.

"The Emirates is a fantastic place for any young player to make his debut, but maybe not the easiest of stadiums to play at," he told LFC Weekly. "It is very big and the atmosphere was different to what I had known in France.

"It was a great incentive though. I remember Rafa telling me to go out and keep it simple. That's what I did, I just went out and played my football to help the team get a result.

"I felt I played well that day. I saw in some of the papers that I was man of the match, which was nice."

The former Lyon starlet helped Liverpool to secure a 1-1 draw that afternoon and he is targeting another chance to shine against Arsene Wenger's charges, though he is well aware there has to be a winner this time around.

"This time it will be different because it is the Carling Cup and not the Premier League," he added.

"If we draw at the end of the 90 minutes in the cup, there will be extra time and maybe even penalties.

"Also, in the Carling Cup, you tend to get a lot of players who would not normally play all of the time. It is often a good chance for younger players like myself to come in and show what they can do.

"The Carling Cup is perhaps my best chance to get a game in the first-team at the moment. Young players may be on the bench for Champions League or Premier League games. You wait and wait but don't always play. The Carling Cup is different though.

"Maybe I will play against Arsenal, maybe I won't. I don't know yet, but I hope I do. Arsenal is a very big game whatever competition you play them in so, if you do play, you know you have to play well."

No comments: