Sunday, October 25, 2009

Liverpool's Glen Johnson Relishing Manchester United Clash

Liverpool's dynamic full back Glen Johnson is relishing Sunday's showdown with Manchester United, and insists the regional rivalry as well as the added pressure for Rafael Benitez's Reds, are just two of the reasons why he was determined to join the Anfield outfit.

"This type of game is everything I have worked for," Johnson explained to the club's official website. "I hesitate to say it's a nice place to be, because we'd rather not go into this game in this position, but I still smile every time I put the Liverpool shirt on.

"You enjoy the pressure and the atmosphere of these massive games, because that is what you aim for. This is the reason I left Chelsea, because I believed I was good enough to play in these games and I wasn't getting the chance."

Johnson is sure that Liverpool can reverse their current shoddy form, and beat United at home to close the margin between themselves and Sir Alex Ferguson's side to just four points. He also reiterated his delight at being able to pull on the iconic all-red kit of Liverpool.

"It is a pleasure to be here, a pleasure to have the expectation that comes with a massive club, and I'll take the pressure of fighting to win trophies 100 per cent every time," he said.

"Fighting relegation is a lot worse pressure. Get relegated and so many lives are affected, a lot of staff lose their jobs, players lose their jobs, it affects a lot of people and sometimes the club never bounces back.

"Here, our pressure is a good thing, and we still believe we can handle it, absolutely. Honestly, there is belief in everyone that we are still a very good team, and we will be there at the end of the season."

No comments: