Thursday, October 15, 2009

Anfield Starlet Eager To Turn The Tables On United

Liverpool youngster Jay Spearing is too young to remember the last time the Kop tasted league title success and he admits Manchester United’s dominance of the Premier League has been a painful experience to bear for the Merseyside local.

The Wirral born midfielder also claims this season is the most important of his career, suggesting he has to show Rafa Benitez what he is capable of.

Spearing told Liverpool’s official website: “For a local lad, to win the league would feel even better, but it's what this team wants,”

“Any trophy is nice but the league is the one we've wanted for so long.

“I'm too young to remember the last time we won it. It was frustrating seeing United near the top all the time but in the past couple of years we've got closer. Hopefully this season or next our time will come.”

The youngster claimed he is having to adapt to top level football, admitting the tactical side of his game is the one most tested in the first team.

He added: “It's more tactical understanding than anything else. Rafa wants me to become a defensive midfielder and to understand the role and the positional side of things,”

“It's the heart of the team here because you've got to get forward if you can while protecting the back four. It's a key area that we look at a lot.

“You look at the positives and think about how you can change the game if you get on. There's no point sitting there thinking, 'I'm not going to get on'.

“It's exciting. If you don't get on, you just get ready for the next game and hopefully the chance will come.

“The coaches have told me I'll be involved a lot more this season. This season I've been on the bench a few times and it's a big progression. Last year I made the bench maybe two or three times. I've doubled that already and we're only in October.

“It's the most important season of my career so far. I'm involved with the first team every day now and the boss, Sammy Lee and the rest of the players are there looking at me every day.

“This is the season where I've got to show I'm here to stay and show what I can do.”

No comments: