Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Alberto Aquilani To Make Liverpool Debut Against Arsenal


Rafael Benitez has confirmed that Alberto Aquilani has been included in the Liverpool squad for tomorrow night's Carling Cup match at Arsenal.

The midfielder has been recovering from an ankle operation since his summer move from Roma and made his first appearance in a Liverpool shirt in the reserves' 2-0 win against Sunderland last week.

Aquilani, who was bought to replace Xabi Alonso, is now expected to make his senior Liverpool bow in the fourth-round tie at the Emirates Stadium.

"He is improving his fitness, so he's in the squad," Benitez, the Liverpool manager, said. "He cannot start at this moment but he will be there and maybe we can give him some minutes. If it's possible, we will try to use him."

Benitez believes the Italy international will add a new dimension to his team. "We can see in every training session that he has quality, game intelligence and good movements," he said. "He is a different kind of player for us. We talk about using Steven Gerrard deeper sometimes, but maybe in Aquilani we have a player who can play there and pass the ball really well in the final third."

Aquilani is relishing the prospect of playing a part in Liverpool's season, having witnessed the atmosphere at Anfield for Sunday's 2-0 Barclays Premier League win over Manchester United.

"It was good to play for the reserves because I haven't played for a long time, but to play for the first team is something different again and I am looking forward to that," Aquilani said. "I really want to play, but I need to be patient, I know the time will come for me.

"I will be very happy when I make my debut. This is my job, it's what I am here to do, and I am looking forward to it."

Neither Gerrard or Fernando Torres are likely to be involved against Arsenal. Gerrard is still recovering from a groin problem, while Torres was only 80 per cent fit when he played - and scored - in the win over United. Both players are expected to return for Saturday's trip to Fulham.

No comments: